Wednesday 28 August 2013

Family Camping

As the school holidays come to an end, the family campers go back in to hibernation to make way for the retired couples in motor homes, and the guys without young children. These people will keep us busy until around October when only the hardy campers stick it out! But this September launches me personally into the family camping world as our first child arrives...any time from now really.

So for years I have sold family camping equipment, but rarely used it, sticking more to the lightweight side of things, but you be assured that I will be giving most our kit a good old testing in the years to come! Family camping instantly gives the image of a large camp site, perhaps a tad rowdy, in a huge tent and every starage device available! But some friends of mine actually do wild family camping in the lakes, and that appeals to me... They will take three young children hiking and camp up in the mountains for a few nights, and they love it! Yes they will carry some extra kit, but how much stuff will a child really need? An extra spork and a tiny sleeping bag is surely most of it?

I think hiking and camping with young children can only be great fun, I know I loved it when I was a nipper, though I think I'll hold back on popping a child seat on the mountain bike, that can never end well.

No comments:

Post a Comment